My New Favorite Outfit: Building A Wardrobe: Jeans and Dress Pants

Monday, November 4, 2013

Building A Wardrobe: Jeans and Dress Pants


I'm excited to be continuing my Building a Wardrobe series with you today! One the first day of the series I shared Essential Blazers and Jackets, one day two I shared Essential Cardigans, and on day three I shared Essential Skirts. and today I'll be sharing essential jeans and dress pants with you. Here are my thoughts on essential jeans and dress pants:
  • I think it is essential to have good pair of skinny jeans, boyfriend jeans, and black, gray, and tan dress pants. I realized today that these are much more essentials for fall and winter, for spring and summer I'd definitely add white jeans.
  • Although skinny jeans and boyfriend jeans are kind of a trend right now, they are definitely to key to making a casual look look great.  I also love the trend of cuffing skinny jeans to show your ankle; I think this is much more flattering then wearing them long.  I also love wearing skinny jeans with boots for the sleekest, most put together look.
  • With dress pants, black, gray, and tan will be the most versatile.  Now, when I say tan, I don't mean khakis.  I'm a teacher, so I still see these everywhere, but I don't suggest spending money on them right now, as they are seeming dated at this point (we'll see when they come back, I'm sure they will).
  • As for dress pants and jeans, fit is key. I'm not going to lie, I think finding great jeans and pants is pretty difficult. I also don't think buying because the price is right is the right way to tackle purchasing pants.  In the past I tended to focus on if pants fit my waist and I stopped there.  I didn't check how it fit in the thighs or check out the pants/jeans from the back either.  Bad idea.  This summer I took the time to try on all my jeans and pants and check them out from every angle.  They all fit in the waist, but if the thighs were too baggy it made me look much bigger than I was, and if the back didn't fit right, I looked very...well saggy.  I kid you not, I got rid of nearly a dozen pair of pants and jeans.
  • I'm the most happy with a style I found at The Limited, they were not cheap (about $45 a piece) but the fit is perfection and I know the classic feel will mean I can wear them for years to come.
Now that I've shared my essentials thoughts on jeans and pants, here are some additional options to consider:
  • I suggest investing in one pair of colored jeans, I love red. 
  •  I also think a good pair of boot cut is a great go-to option for the weekend, I wear mine a lot for errands.
  • I also love trouser jeans and depending on where you work, you might be able to wear them at work too.  The fact that they have the structure of dress pants makes them dressier and can give a casual outfit a more polished look.
  • I'm also seeing a lot of black denim now and I love it. They haven't been cool since the early 90s, but they're back!

Building A Wardrobe-jeans



Today I'm wearing black skinny pants, which I wear like crazy, they are great with a boot, heel or flat; a must have for every closet!


On Valentine's Day Brian and I had the day to ourselves, which was great. Prior to going out to dinner we stopped by the mall, as Brian had a giftcard to Scheels and I had one to J.Crew.  I found this striped sweater on super sale and was pretty excited because my other one needed to be thrown away. Black and white stripes are so great, but it seems like I need to replace mine each year. I got the inspiration for this outfit from this pin and love how it came together.




Vest: J.Crew Factory (sold out)
Sweater: J.Crew same
Necklace: Mariposa Medley c/o
Pants: Target same
 Bracelet: chloe + isabel  c/o same 
Watch: Wristology same c/o Get 25% off
Boots: Born similar



24 comments:

  1. I have been searching for a great pair of skinny jeans forever! I bought a pair at Maurices last year and I am hating them this season! They just don't look or feel right. I am over 40 so I have to be careful not to buy something that looks like it is for my daughter, but I don't want to look like I am an old lady either!! It is quite the balancing act! I am going to try the Loft skinnies you listed. I love the fit of Loft pants so I hope they work! Thanks! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dress pants are the hardest for me by far! Right now I am in between sizes due to working out so they are either hanging off me or too tight. I definitely agree with you about investing in a fun pair of colored denim too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to confess that I have never owned jeans that were any color but blue. I just hate trying on jeans because I get depressed about the size or fit. Then it's so much work to try on like 10 pairs of regular blue jeans that by the time I think of colored ones I just want to go get a pretzel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear my black jeans all the time! I love how you dressed yours up with a blazer and heels!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Ad Space Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Sorry for the double post here!) Anyway, you've done a really great job with this series & post. Great, classic selections on the pants and jeans, plus I love your graphic. :)

    On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I'm definitely lacking in the dress pants department. I can't find black pants! I have looked for years... well, not super hard, but I've still looked. I thought I scored a pair a few years ago and they were perfect but I lost more baby weight and then they were too big.

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving this series. Great idea to do the essentials and then some fun, trendy options!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this series you are doing Ginny. I totally agree about getting some essentials and then building on them. I love my skinny jeans. I basically live in them all Winter.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love black jeans! I am wearing an old pair today but definitely want a new pair and I love the ones your wearing, going to have to check Old Navy out! Loving your outfit by the way, looks great.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to find pants that fit me. I love the look and versatility of them, just hate the way they look on me. I'll be on the hunt!

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still in need of a good boyfriend jean. I love the way you style yours! I got a great pair of black jeans last spring, but I need to pull them out more often. Yours are perfect with the polka dot top and cobalt blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep going back and forth on the idea of dress pants. It seems like something I should at least have 1 pair of, but I don't miss them, and in the past, I haven't worn the ones I had. I desperately need a new pair of regular colored denim skinnies. Mine are a couple years old from Old Navy and looking pretty bad. I wish Limited had their 678 style in a normal color right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those jeans on you! I'm so glad you got them, and now I really want to wear mine with my blazer! I'm a huge fan of black denim, you're right, it makes denim look so much dressier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that blue blazer and the black jeans! And I agree, fit is so important and it can be tough to find a great fit! When I find a pair of jeans I love, I end up buying 2 or 3 pairs in different colors so I have a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't agree more! Fit is key! At 5'3", 125, hourglass figure and 45 but stylish its hard to get the fit right. My waist is very small but my issue is thighs. After MUCH trial and error I have found that skinny jeans, cropped pants and boyfriend jeans are not for me. I love them on other though. Curvy Fit trousers from AT and Lucky boot cut jeans are best on me. I like navy and dk grey slacks. I would love to find a great pair of red jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely need a pair of classic black pants. I love the ones you're wearing!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I love jeans/pants but it is SO hard to find pairs that fit perfectly. I've been having a hard time finding dress pants that aren't skinny fit that flatter my shape. It's a good thing that skinny fit is still so popular or I might be in trouble! I love your black jeans, they look great with the bright blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOFT is my go-to for work pants, but I do need a new favorite jean place!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally agree--pants are definitely worth paying a little extra for a good fit! I have found that my go-to pants are Banana Republic's Martin Fit pants--they're pricey, but I wear them all the time and they fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After wearing colored jeans in the 90s, I never thought I would do that again but I do love my many pairs of colors jeans now (all of them from Loft). I could write a book on dress pants as that is what I wear to work everyday. Love Gap perfect pant style. I have every color/pattern ever made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been working on expanding my pants wardrobe, I'd definitely love a new pair of trouser jeans.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this outfit! And I'm so glad I have a blue blazer now so I can take some styling tips from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Uhhh I can't get enough of your blazers!! I definitely need more blazers!! They are sooo classy and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete